Back in March, I signed up for the ‘Free and Legal’ language challenge for the second time, with French as my language of choice. With just over three months left to go, I’m definitely lagging behind. Can I turn it around in time, or will I flame out of this challenge yet again?
Hi, guys! Long time, no see, I know, but I decided to take a little break this summer – both from the blog and (somewhat) from language learning in general.
It’s been a semi-tough couple of months; I didn’t manage to find a job so I’ve been stressed about that and then I’m starting my master’s this month, so of course, I’m stressed about that and moving and everything too.
So yeah, not all bad, but I took some time for myself so that I could come back feeling refreshed and – yay – I’m happy to be back! Wooh.
I thought, then, it would be good to come back with a Clear the List post: a fresh one; I’m not looking back at my goals from July (that I didn’t meet); that helps me look to the month – and year – ahead.
Ready? Let’s go!
Language Related Goals
Mostly I want to focus on German in September because that’s the language I’m using for my master’s degree. So my goals are:
- Read one chapter a day in German
- Watch one film a week in German
- Use Memrise/Anki every day
BONUS: some focus on Mandarin too (I haven’t used it in a while and it is weak). This would mostly involve studying with a textbook/using an app.
University Related Goals
New category! I’m not starting anything until the 26th (almost the end of the month!) but I’d like to go in prepared, so:
- Finish my pre-reading (I am woefully behind)
- Translate something every day (even if it’s short)
Non-language Related Goals
I realised I forgot about these in July, but I also have some non-language related goals for the month (since I don’t want to burn out):
- Write every day (this is the one thing I have kept up this summer, which I think will help me at uni – I wrote 61k in July and 90k in August!)
- Workout four days a week (I quit the gym, so I’m using Darebee and Blogilates to get me through)
- Read every day (i.e., non-uni things… I’m enjoying the Wayward Pines trilogy rn)
- Blog once a week
I think that’s good enough for September – and a great deal shorter than most of my other Clear the List posts have been in the past!
I’m going to try and blog here every Monday from here on out. I might blog more, but I don’t want it to fall less than that; I’d rather be consistent than do what I’ve done in the past (post lots but sporadically).
Also: announcement! I’ve set up another blog to talk all about my translation MA and where that takes me. You can find that here, so if you’re interested in following, please do. I figure that although some of my language-learning readers are interested in translation, it might wear thin if I’m posting about it all the time – so I created a separate space. I’m also planning on blogging there once a week (Thursdays, fortunately). The first post will go live today.
That’s it, I guess. I hope everyone’s ready for autumn – and I’ll be back on Monday!
(And, as ever, if you fancy joining the Clear the List linkup, here are the rules:
1. Share your goal post whether it includes your aspirations for the month or year. Submissions unrelated to the theme or links to your homepage will be deleted.
2. Link back to this post. You can use our button if you wish.
4. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Please visit the site of the person who linked up immediately before you and leave them an encouraging comment! By hosting this linkup, we’re hoping to create a positive community where we can all share our goals. If you do not do this, you will be removed from the linkup.
5. Share on social media using #ClearTheList.)
Hey guys! I hope everyone’s well and I hope, at least for some of you, that summer has well and truly arrived. It certainly hasn’t here. Of course, as usual, it’s that time of the month where I set out my goals for the next 28-31 days and take a look back at how the month before has gone. June was an… interesting one. 😉
Hi guys! So, I’m a little late with June’s Clear the List post – but in my defence, I’ve spent the last three or four days packing up two years’ worth of stuff in preparation for my move back home. It’s turned out to be a lot of stuff.
Still, that’s given me time to think about my goals for this, the first of the summer months – so let’s get on with it!
Hi guys! How are you all doing? Sad that April’s over? I kind of am – April isn’t really a special month for me, but we’re getting closer and closer to the day I leave Vienna, so that sucks.
Still, May is a fun month; there are lots of holidays (here, anyway) and the weather starts to perk up, so hopefully we have that to look forward to. And even if not, then it’s a good month for language challenges and kicking your learning up another notch! 😉
But before I can really do that, it’s time to take a look back at what I did and didn’t do last month.