Hi, guys! Long time, no see, I know, but I decided to take a little break this summer – both from the blog and (somewhat) from language learning in general.
It’s been a semi-tough couple of months; I didn’t manage to find a job so I’ve been stressed about that and then I’m starting my master’s this month, so of course, I’m stressed about that and moving and everything too.
So yeah, not all bad, but I took some time for myself so that I could come back feeling refreshed and – yay – I’m happy to be back! Wooh.
I thought, then, it would be good to come back with a Clear the List post: a fresh one; I’m not looking back at my goals from July (that I didn’t meet); that helps me look to the month – and year – ahead.
Ready? Let’s go!
Language Related Goals
Mostly I want to focus on German in September because that’s the language I’m using for my master’s degree. So my goals are:
- Read one chapter a day in German
- Watch one film a week in German
- Use Memrise/Anki every day
BONUS: some focus on Mandarin too (I haven’t used it in a while and it is weak). This would mostly involve studying with a textbook/using an app.
University Related Goals
New category! I’m not starting anything until the 26th (almost the end of the month!) but I’d like to go in prepared, so:
- Finish my pre-reading (I am woefully behind)
- Translate something every day (even if it’s short)
Non-language Related Goals
I realised I forgot about these in July, but I also have some non-language related goals for the month (since I don’t want to burn out):
- Write every day (this is the one thing I have kept up this summer, which I think will help me at uni – I wrote 61k in July and 90k in August!)
- Workout four days a week (I quit the gym, so I’m using Darebee and Blogilates to get me through)
- Read every day (i.e., non-uni things… I’m enjoying the Wayward Pines trilogy rn)
- Blog once a week
I think that’s good enough for September – and a great deal shorter than most of my other Clear the List posts have been in the past!
I’m going to try and blog here every Monday from here on out. I might blog more, but I don’t want it to fall less than that; I’d rather be consistent than do what I’ve done in the past (post lots but sporadically).
Also: announcement! I’ve set up another blog to talk all about my translation MA and where that takes me. You can find that here, so if you’re interested in following, please do. I figure that although some of my language-learning readers are interested in translation, it might wear thin if I’m posting about it all the time – so I created a separate space. I’m also planning on blogging there once a week (Thursdays, fortunately). The first post will go live today.
That’s it, I guess. I hope everyone’s ready for autumn – and I’ll be back on Monday!
(And, as ever, if you fancy joining the Clear the List linkup, here are the rules:
1. Share your goal post whether it includes your aspirations for the month or year. Submissions unrelated to the theme or links to your homepage will be deleted.
2. Link back to this post. You can use our button if you wish.
3. Follow the hosts: Esther from Local Adventurer, Lindsay from Lindsay Does Languages, Mariah from Food, Booze & Baggage, and Shannon from Eurolinguiste.
4. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Please visit the site of the person who linked up immediately before you and leave them an encouraging comment! By hosting this linkup, we’re hoping to create a positive community where we can all share our goals. If you do not do this, you will be removed from the linkup.
5. Share on social media using #ClearTheList.)